From:
Brigid Nuta <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Oct 2005 16:58:27 -0400
In various internships (and part-time jobs) that I've had, I've looked
for a couple of things:

1) exposure to what the job REALLY entails.
2) being treated as a part of the team -- not just as a pair of hands
to fetch and carry
3) some training -- how do I cut a mat, mount a label, photograph an
object, use your database... This is my chance to get the practical
experience -- school has given me the theoretical!
4) recognition for contributions -- in one internship, I was listed and
thanked in the credits as an exhibit intern. As long as the catalog is
in print, my role in the exhibit is perpetuated (and I was able to show
it to my future mother-in-law, who had seen the traveling exhibit --
she was very impressed).
5) a substantive responsibility. I could always tell when projects were
haphazardly created for the intern to have something to do.
6) feedback -- it's always great to get constructive criticism, praise,
etc.

Money would have been nice, but wasn't vital if I was getting great
experience. However, in that case, the institution providing the
internship should be understanding about the need for somewhat flexible
hours -- the bills have to be paid! As far as a job, sometimes
internships tell you where you DON'T want to work!

My office is thinking about offering an internship (I work for my local
Girl Scout council planning programs with local museums, historic
sites, nature centers, etc.) for a museum ed/public history student who
has an interest in working with specialized audiences (like Girl
Scouts). I've been reading the original thread with great interest to
prepare!

Brigid Nuta
Girl Scout Council of the Nation's Capital