From:
Jane Thomson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 10:08:48 -0400
For some nice old line drawings of implements and activities, and references
to others, try "Out of Old Nova Scotia Kitchens", by Marie Nightingale,
1971, published by Pagurian Press Limited, Toronto, distributed by John
Wiley & Sons. It's a favourite recipe book for expatriots like me (you have
to love the vinegar candy which I remember making with my sister) and I
think it's still sold in Nova Scotia bookstores.

At 09:39 PM 21/01/99 -0500, you wrote:
>I am revisiting the interpretation of a c1885 period kitchen and am
>tired of the usual "look at this unusual gadget", "didn't they have
>some strange food on their menu" approach.
>
>I would like to emphasize the time, energy and processes involved in the
>preservation of food stuffs. To help achieve this end I want to show
>processes like pickling and salting in progress. (This has to be static rather
>than an actual activity). Most information
>I have found is recipe based. There are some descriptions of process but
>very few graphics showing the equipment and process which I desperately need.
>
>I hoped someone on the list who has tried this before could provide
>info/advice. Maybe others
>might have suggestions about getting the message across in a static
>display. (I note
>the perpetual museum quandary of trying to show activity through
>interpretation
>methods that are 'inactive').
>
>Thanks
>
>Jennifer Nuske