Date:
Wed, 3 Aug 2005 10:08:25 +1000
Dirk: I have only a small solar panel that charges a car type battery to
supply electricity for a water pump - unreliable in one word.

I can confirm Stan's experience with a solar hot water installation in
our home. It seems to me that there is considerable scope for
improvement - for greater efficiency the angle of the solar panels need
to be capable of self-adjustment, so as to maximise exposure to the sun,
year round. I am unaware of such a unit being available in Australia.
Perhaps it has yet to be invented!

Hot water storage should be sufficient to cover a long period of
continuous cloud cover. Perhaps the installer (in our case a qualified
plumber/electrical engineer) needs access to better local records before
recommending a unit and proposed installation design.

Savings depend on power costs. In this country they are guaranteed to
rise sooner rather than later.

Regards
Desmond Kennard
Museums in the making