From:
Christopher Dill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Aug 2000 10:36:22 -0600
Yesterday I had the pleasure of visiting the Lee Maxwell Washing Machine Museum in Eaton, Colorado.  Mr. Maxwell has 860 machines, of which 600 are fully restored and on exhibit in about 12.000 square feet of climate controlled space.  He has put his "washer-base" (data-base) on his web site at      http://www.oldewash.com/    and it is searchable - an excellent tool for anyone trying to identify or date an old washing machine.  I thought some of you might like to know about this site as a resource for your work with collections.  The data base includes photos and mpegs of the mahcines running.

I think this must be the largest colleciton of washing machines in the world.  Does anyone on the List know of a larger collection in a museum or personal collection, open to the public, or any place with 600 restored machines?

Regards

Chris Dill, Superintendent
City of Greeley Museums
919 7th Street