From:
John Chadwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Mar 1996 06:12:06 -0700
Steve,

I have to admit that my experience has been with Digital Pathworks, which is
really based on the Microsoft Lanman program. We got into this because our
first server was a MicroVAX and Pathworks allows the VMS operating system
to do more than just function as a mainframe type of system.

Pathworks will also run under Digital's version of Unix as well as VMS. There
is the added benefit that you can make a NetBios connection across a WAN using
TCP/IP.

I have not had to imagine switching to either Novell or Windows NT, but from
what I understand Windows NT is little more robust and easier to manage if you
are strictly in a Windows environment. Also, if you want to use the server for
your Internet connection, Novell is just a pain to make it function. I know
some people who have been very successful with Novell on the Internet, but I
know many more who have users who are very frustrated trying to access basics
such as e-mail.

--john chadwick