From:
Lynn Norris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Nov 1996 10:35:34 EST
** Reply to note from Museum discussion list <[log in to unmask]>         Wed, 20 Nov 1996 16:51:50 EST
In my field work with middle school students and work
evaluating exhibits, I have found that it is not until
the visitor has some understanding whether it's accurate
of not of what makes the exhibit "work" that they become
engaged.  Ken Yellis' article "Unhanding the Visitor" is
a good reference.  If exhibits are based in an
inquiry-based learning philosophy then the questioning is
what we share.  Visitors as critical co-investigators are
much more motivated.  In popular education terms its the
argument between the "banking" form of education and
inquiry-based education.  Are visitors coming to the bank
empty of all knowledge and is it our job to "fill" them
with knowledge?  The more they accept without question,
the better the education?  Or do we want to foster
inquiry-based education and share the discovery, the
quest, the questions to be answered that attracted us to
this business in the first place?  After a year with
middle school students, if they weren't trying to figure
out how the exhibit was made, what the ideas were behind
it and questioning whether they thought the exhibit met
its goals and mission, they weren't interested.  I don't
think many adult visitors are either.  We can still plan
exhibits for the highly educated expert in our subject or
let people see the frustrations and fun of research.

Lynn Norris                 (919) 834-4040
Exploris                    (919) 834-3516 fax
615 Willard Place           [log in to unmask]
Raleigh, NC  27603