From:
Anne Lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 2005 09:03:27 -0500
Luke, your best bet for cleaning the quilt is a vacuum cleaner that can
be set to low suction - just enough to lift the dust without slurping
the fabric or any of the little dolls into the machine. Cover the area
you are vacuuming with some fiberglass window screening, which helps
support the fabric against the suction and keeps small parts from being
slurped. I cut a square of the screening and either tape the edges or
sew cloth binding around them to prevent the cut ends of the screening
from catching on the fabric. I use a soft brush attachment and go over
the area with repeated light strokes to gently dislodge the dust and
allow it to be vacuumed. If there are areas on or behind the dolls that
are hard to reach with the screen technique, you can use a soft brush to
harry the dust out from its hiding places into the path of your vacuum.
In this case, it would be good to tie a piece of the screening over the
end of your vacuum, again to prevent parts of the quilt from being
ingested.

Hope this helps.
Anne

Anne T. Lane, Collections Manager
Charlotte Museum of History
3500 Shamrock Drive
Charlotte NC 28215
704-568-1774, ext 110

Winter Featured Events and Exhibits:

North Carolina Slave Narratives, February 5, 2:00 - 4:00 p.m.

Stitched from the Soul Family Day, February 12, 1:00 - 4:00 p.m.

An Evening with Robert Bruns - the Scottish Bard, February 26, 6:30 -
10:30 p.m.

Civil War Encampment, March 5, 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.

Vecinos/Neighbors on exhibit until August 2005

Stitched from the Soul: The Farmer-James Collection of African-American
Quilts, on exhibit until March 2005

Solving the Rock House Mysteries, now on exhibit

 For information on these and all other events, please call (704)
568-1774 or visit us online at www.charlottemuseum.org