From:
"Susan W." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Dec 1996 07:58:02 EST
Re:  "Or you could just ask someone to hold the door open" rather than
have a power-assisted door.  This is a huge issue on how disabilities
are best accommodated. I think no one (in a chair or on foot) wants
access to depend on the kindness of strangers. Universal design seems
like the best idea, because curb cuts are chosen by most people crossing
the street, ramps are accessible to people walking or rolling, and the
power-assisted doors open for all.  I like ramps better than stairs
because my knees creak, and power-assisted doors are great when one is
carrying packages.  Also, America is getting older, and accommodations
easing movement help that significant part of our audience.  Everything
that requires a chunk of money hurts, but I think we need ADA accommodations.