From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 May 2004 12:09:38 -0700
Apparently, it's been hacked or conscripted.  When I
attempted to use it to help the MuseJobs folks, it's
been taken over by some company called
http://www.2020search.com  They're nasty.  They have a
JavaScript program that gets through the firewall and
loads on your computer.

I uninstalled, and I'm running a virus scan, but my
money says it's spyware (in other words, it records
where you come and go on the web) and the aggressive
way they are pushing this through makes them
especially suspect.

I will contact the Fortunecity folks on Monday, but
their service is currently off line.  I believe my
site may have been targeted due to the volume of hits
the site gets.

I have a backup of my site and can place it somewhere
else if need be, but first I will try to get it
restored.  I'll let you know if/when that happens.

It doesn't affect
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MuseJobs, just the
fortunecity site.  Fortunecity is a freebie, so it's
possible they just up and gave the space to somebody
who would pay for it, but they should have at least
told me.

There has been high firewall activity this week, and
lots of attempts for people to spread viruses (I seem
to be in a lot of address books, LOL).

When the world is in chaos, when our government has
alienated another part of the world for whatever
reason (not a bash, just a fact, so put your flags
down), there is more and more of this kind of
activity.

As I finished writing this note, my virus scan
finished.  It turns out they are spyware, and I have
quarantined all five files they downloaded.  McAfee
cannot clean them, but they can keep them from being
used.

I thought it best to warn you.

=====
Indigo Nights