From:
Jill Chancey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 May 2011 14:01:25 -0500
Jennifer & Museum-L:

I could have written almost your exact email.  We are also having
problems convincing volunteers to become docents.  The difference is
that our younger volunteers aren't college-aged, but most of them are
20- and 30-somethings who have children as well as multiple volunteer
commitments.   We are also having trouble getting our volunteers to show
up to meet their commitments these last few years.  I wish I knew what
we could do to revitalize the organization and inspire them to step it
up.  We have a dedicated core of volunteers & docents who work 100+
hours a year, but many are either aging out of the ability to do that,
or their spouses are.   I personally think our Guild of Docents and
Volunteers is run a little bit too much like the Junior League or a
sorority, which makes it feel exclusionary to new folks, but there is no
institutional will to make changes in the social structure.

We find new volunteers by asking current ones to invite possible
recruits to a membership coffee once a year.  We also make a point of
inviting local teachers to that coffee after they retire, since they're
the most likely to be interested in and comfortable with giving tours.

I'm looking forward to hearing from others who have faced this problem
and, hopefully, found ways to bring in more docents.

--
Jill R. Chancey, PhD
Curator