From:
Jerrie Clarke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 22:07:49 PST
I have kind of an odd bug problem.  We have a miner's cabin display that was
installed over 10 years ago using cut logs for 3 walls and the roof.  It's
very apparent bugs are living in the logs.  There are holes in the wood and
fine wood dust appears on the floor around it.  I've never seen an adult
bug, but have seen a single larva twice in 2 years.

I wanted to take it out almost two years ago when I was hired but that idea
was vetoed.  It's very popular with the tourist and I was told the bugs live
only in the cabin.  So I monitor the artifacts in and around the cases, and
have never found any evidence that the bugs are anywhere but in the logs of
the cabin.  A biologist at the local Community College said he could
probably identify at least the family if I could find an adult.  About a
month ago I put bug traps all around and have caught nothing.  I feel like I
should do something, but we are a small local history museum in a small
rural Alaska town, with very few resources within 300 miles.  It would be
impossible to freeze it and fumigation may upset the balance.  I'm thinking
it's time to again bring up the idea of taking it out.

Any ideas?
Jerrie