From:
Henry Grunder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Feb 1997 15:35:01 EST
There has got to be a special place in Hell for architects... one
of whom designed two of the exhibit vitrines in the lobby of
our new building as tall vertical cases with tungsten halogen
lamps in the ceiling of the case (no light attic), i.e.,
_inside_. Resultant
heat build-up is a lesser concern compared to the fact that such
lamps are a rich source of UV emissions. (There is also a
sprinkler head in each, and the sprinklers in this part of the
bldg are not pre-action dry pipe, as they are in the
collection storage areas, hence, water just above: but we have
to deal with what can be dealt with.)

To the point: UV is universally & routinely filtered from fluorescent
lamps with plastic filters. However, tungsten halogen lamps run
very hot, so that is out. If we could find out the fixture
mfgrs, they might have the answer . . . which is probably a
heat-resistant glass filter. Any ideas appreciated.
Henry Grunder
Conservation/Preservation Cordinator
The Library of Virginia