From:
Elizabeth Walton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Aug 2006 14:21:25 -0700
You may be able to ge additional information from the Costume Studies Program at NYU. When I was there we dealt with some of the issues in our textiles conservation coursework (we spent an entire class period getting an overview of mannequins and other periods learning of other techniques). They are in the School of Education, Department of Arts and Arts Administration. The graduate school at FIT also would have several people that could help you.

( Sidenote/rant: There are many many many techniques for costume display that can get extremely involved. As most museum quality garments were made for individual people, there is no one correct mount for anything. The body shape underneath is especially critical. Incorrect shapes can not only make the clothes look awful and give incorrect visual information to audiences, but can actually harm garments. )