From:
Robert Guralnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jan 1995 18:40:57 PST
        Hi All ---

        I was going to ask this sooner, but just today got
around to posting.  I have been archiving Museum-l and then
indexing it so it is available for searching via gopher.  I
started doing this, with the help of John Chadwick, the list
owner, on January 1 of 1994... that is over a year ago.  During
the last year, this list created over 9 million bytes of
information.  During the indexing, the word "museum" was
thrown out because it was used too many times.  Over ten thousand
messages were sent out.  This is a lot of activity.

        The question I have is this.  Has anyone found this service
worthwhile?  Does anyone use this service to back track and see
if a question has already been asked or find out if the same topic
dressed up in new participants and new words is circulating through
again?  Does anyone use this service at all?  Should I continue to
keep the old archive around or should I dump it and start anew with
this year. Should I dump the whole idea?

        If you want to grab a look at this searchable archive, point
your gopher or Web client to:

gopher://ucmp1.Berkeley.EDU:70/00/MLists/museuml

Cheers,

Robert Guralnick   | Museum of Paleontology   | University of California
Berkeley, CA 94720 | [log in to unmask] | (510) 642-9696