From:
Betty Hamilton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Apr 2003 07:49:00 -0500
[log in to unmask] wrote:

> Another great idea for Hands On activities is to bring out historic toys and games.

Personal story -- about three years ago we had our three grandsons for a week in the summer. Because they live a 6-hour drive away from us, we weren't able to bring many of their toys with us. Consequently, I had to get creative.

I purchased three collections of marbles and made velvet marble bags. My husband taught them how to play marbles (which they had never really seen played before) and found actual marble game rules on the internet. Those three boys (10, 7, 6) played marbles from daylight until dark.
When the youngest had his seventh birthday, they had a "marble" party. Favors were bags of marbles and all of the little boys played marbles during the party.

If you have hands-on marble games, you probably had better stock them in the museum store!

Betty
Historian, Terry County Historical Commission