From:
"Meeker, Amanda" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Oct 1998 09:04:01 -0700
Theatrical fixtures are an integral part of our lighting design, too,
though they're used to create lighting effects in the galleries, not to
light the items on display (we have a lot of light-sensitive documents,
etc. on display).  I agree that they create ravishing effects.  I find
it so interesting to see the difference in the way the museum looks when
they're on -- they give it a _completely_ different atmosphere.  The
drawback appears to be the high cost of the lamps (they run $30 apiece
around here), and the relatively short lamp life (though having them on
dimmers does help significantly there).

Amanda Meeker
Golden State Museum