Date:
Sat, 27 Jan 1996 20:28:57 GMT
I have followed with interest several threads in this group and would
like to comment on Conservators.  We have a fine collection of
militaria focusing on the First World War.  Although not accredited as
a museum, we still maintain a display/study area open by appointment
and create a number of public displays including displays for the US
Navy.

Small  Museums  such as ours and private collectors of militaria often
hold large and valuable collections.  Many of these contain material
of historic nature.  We strive to further our knowledge of recording,
display, and conservation methods.  I believe there is a vacuum in the
area of conservation for militaria collections.  Most collectors have
no idea a person such as a  Conservator  exists.  I have seen little
effort by established museums or conservators to offer services
(either free seminars, or paid services) to this large repository of
artifacts.

I have seen collectors fail to use simple precautions such as
mothballs to preserve textiles.  Likewise inappropriate use of
conservation methods may damage material which some day would benefit
the collection of a more formal museum.  A little sales job may have
to be done to convince many collectors that professional help for
conservation is as valuable as the collection itself.  However, I
believe we would all benefit from the effort.

Over the next 10 years we hope to build our collection to the point it
is recognized as a valuable enough asset to attract development of a
formal museum program and building.  In the meantime we read
everything we can get on conservation, recording, display creation,
and collection management.

Wayne Hart
Curator/Historian/Director/ Conservator
Museum of Valor