Date:
Wed, 11 May 2005 16:04:03 +1000
This morning I inspected the Moss Vale Saleyards
(www://mossvalesaleyards.info/index.asp) that is located near Moss Vale
in the Southern Highlands of NSW. It is owned by the local government
authority and operated by an unincorporated body, essentially a
committee of Council with support by local stock and station agents. I
witnessed part of an auction of 1400 head of cattle that is typical of
the type conducted every Wednesday. I have some experience of stock
auctions, but the uninitiated would probably not really understand what
is happening, except seeing individual bulls, bullocks or cows -
sometimes groups - being paraded into and out of a well fenced ring with
much of the auction process being made by a group of livestock agents
seated at desks at the front of tiered seating, much like a lecture
theatre. Bids were made mainly by hand signals with the auctioneer
mumbling something. The tiered seating was occupied by  owners and
visitors. In other words it is very hard to follow the process, because
it moves so quickly. It took only about 25-30 seconds to complete bids
for one sale.

With my background in the planning and operation of museums and
historical parks, I have been invited to provide some ideas about the
possibility of introducing an education interpretative program that
might be of interest to primary and secondary schools; and special
interest groups.

While I do have several ideas for an education program, I thought I
should  tap this magnificent resource. Are there any museums actually
based on the activities of saleyards and/or cattle auctions? Has anyone
taken a school/college group to a saleyard? If so, I should like to hear
from them. Please reply via the discussion group or direct to me.

Thanks in anticipation.

Desmond Kennard
Museums in the making
HILL TOP, NSW