From:
Rubideau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jun 1996 17:58:17 -0400
We are working on a series of exhibits funded by the National Science
Foundation. They series of called "Mathmagical Toys" and each is intended
to connect a toy with one or more mathematical ideas.

We've engineered a soap bubble machine that makes a stream of 1' bubbles
at about 2 second intervals. We are going to let them drop about 13 feet
into a very large circular catch tray. Visitors can try to pop or deform
the bubbles with two air vortex guns.

We interpret the bubbles mainly as examples of minimal surfaces. We also
mention interference effects and vortexes.

This exhibit is the fourth in a series. Each exhibit unit has a subtitle
and a title, with the title being either a toy or suggestive of a possible
toy or suggestive of a place that kids associate with play. The subtitle
echoes that and emphasizes the main math point. The subtitle is set: "Soap
Bubble Geometry". The contenders for the main title are below. Please pick
one and reply or e-mail me. We're in a rush, as ever, since the title we
had chosen was booed down by an angry mob.

Bubble Mania
The Bubble Factory
The Bubble Zone
Bubble Party