From:
Chris Andersen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 May 1998 01:10:04 -0400
Hello, Alex!

(Congratulations on your move to the City of Toronto!)

You wrote:

> Date:    Wed, 27 May 1998 13:40:24 -0400
> From:    Alex Avdichuk <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: ONTARIO MUSEUMS?
>
> Christian (and any other interested parties):
>
> As another museum-Ler pointed out, the Ontario Museum Association's web
> page can help you with your search for Ontario Museums, and it includes a
> directory of Ontario museums which can be accessed by region.
> http://www.museumassn.on.ca/dir2.html will get you to this page.
>
> However, if you are travelling to the Lake Simcoe area, what you can find
> within an hour's drive might be difficult to determine from the regional
> map.  It is helpful if you know the geography of the area, but can be
> difficult if you don't.
>
> My suggestions for narrowing down your search include: The Greater Toronto
> Area, including the City of Toronto (Scarborough, Toronto, Etobicoke, York,
> North York, East York) and its neighbouring municipalities (Mississauga,
> Brampton, Bramalea, Halton, Oakville, Peel, Markham, Unionville, Oshawa,
> Pickering, Ajax, Whitby, Concord, Woodbridge, Richmond Hill, Vaughan - any
> others I've missed??) There are some wonderful museums and historic sites
> to visit.  Closer to the Lake Simcoe region, try Keswick, Newmarket,
> Sutton, Holland Landing, Stouffville, King City, Uxbridge, Sharon, Aurora,
> Orillia, Barrie, Bradford).
>
> If any other locals can suggest places I've missed, please feel free to add
> to the list.
>
> If you wish to contact me directly off-list, I would be more than happy to
> assist you with arrangements to visit any of Toronto's 13 city-run museums.
>
> Alex Avdichuk
> City of Toronto
> Arts, Culture and Heritage Services

Please note that there are no museums in Ajax or Whitby (though the
latter has a small art gallery). And, depending on where Christian is
staying on Lake Simcoe, he might enjoy visits slightly further afield to
the wonderful museums in historic Huronia at Midland and Penetanguishene
including Ste.-Marie-Among-the-Hurons, Martyrs' Shrine, Huronia Museum,
and the Penetanguishene Naval and Military Establishment. To the east,
how about the Peterborough Petroglyphs, Serpent Mounds, and the museums
in and around Peterborough itself?  There is an awful lot to see and do
within one or two hours' drive of Lake Simcoe. There are literally
scores of museums and historic sites nearby, plus there's the natural
beauty of the region to revel in! I'm sure that our department, too,
would be happy to help him arrange an itinerary.

I sincerely hope that he has a great stay here.

Chris Andersen
Regional Archaeologist
Ontario Ministry of Citizenship, Culture & Recreation