From:
Klingman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Aug 2002 17:03:28 -0400
Hi everyone.

I am currently working on a temporary exhibit about the history of Techno music. We would like the exhibit to travel after it is on display at our museum, starting around July 2004.  Does anyone have advice on creating and handling traveling exhibitions? Any horror stories or must haves? We are interested in having it travel internationally as well as domestically.

I know there are companies/organizations that manage traveling exhibitions, but we are thinking of handling all the details ourselves. Do many other museums do this? Are we crazy for trying to do it ourselves?

The exhibit is around 2000 sq feet and will contain some very rare items and electronic equipment. (Many objects are on loan from the original founders of Techno.)

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks so much!

Catherine Klingman, Curator
Detroit Historical Museums
6325 West Jefferson Avenue, Building B
Detroit, MI 48209