From:
Lee Boyko <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 1994 10:19:20 PST
I understand that the Burke Museum is considering developing a CDROM
on North West Coasts Natives. I know that similar projects have been
considered by museums in British Columbia, but major ethical issues
have arisen.

The big problems is that ownership of the symbols, designs, songs, let alone
the artifacts are still claimed by many of the First Peoples. I realize that
other media have been used to disseminate this material in the past, but
once it is digitalized, control  would become next to impossible.

I would be interested to know how the Burke is dealing with this issue
and how other institutions are dealing with it.

--
Lee Boyko Sooke Region Museum [log in to unmask]