From:
Carol Reid <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jun 2003 09:10:58 -0400
Assigning a dollar figure to archival items is awkward, but can be done. I
know first-hand, as I too have to do it for our archival collection here at
the Canadian War Museum. I know too well the difficulties you are
experiencing, especially with assigning a dollar figure to Holocaust related
materials.

It usually involves my regular scanning all the auction catalogues to which
we subscribe (in our case militaria auctions from sotheby's, Christies,
Wallis & Wallis, Glendinnings, etc) and compiling lists of estimated and
actual prices, surfing the internet auction sites (ebay, ruby lane, and a
variety of sites specializing in auctions of paper materials), and
patrolling the websites of militaria dealers and other auction houses.  I
currently have about 20 inches of photocopied sales and auctions results
that we go through regularly trying to for canadian archival militaria. I
have also compiled lists of the most common items that we come across and
their average price.

When I exhaust those avenues, then its time to pay someone to do an
appraisal. A few years ago I had to get a scrapbook of correspondence from
prisoners at the Theresienstadt camp appraised, I wound up contacting the
Holocaust museum in Washington for someone qualified to appraise it, and
they put me in touch with a couple of people.

If you would like more information on the catalogues and internet sites I
use, please do not hesitate to contact me directly, and I can send you a
list or help in anyway I can.

Good luck
Carol Reid
Collections Manager, Archives