From:
"James L. Swanson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Apr 1994 15:38:00 -0500
----------
Since there have been a couple of people supporting the notion that:

> Science is a belief system that is all the more sinister by its hegemonic
> smugness and transparency... and it is really the misuse of science,
> not faith, that threatens our planet

I would like to register my disagreement. Science offers an escape from the
religious and nationalistic furor that have served people as excuses to murder
each other for millenia. The basic tenet of the scientific "belief system" is
that hypotheses are put to the test. This is smug?

Jim Swanson
Whyte Museum of the Canadian Rockies, Banff, AB