From:
Boylan P <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Oct 2001 14:37:49 +0100
Dear Colleagues,

Recent terrorism and the international response to this has
highlighted the risk to culture and particularly the cultural
heritage of the world of wars and of both natural and civil
disasters, while all the available statistics show that over
past decades all three of these threats to the heritage have
had a disproportionate effect developing countries.

It has therefore been agreed that the World Bank-based
Development Gateway internet information service on
development issues, officially launched on 30 July 2001,
should establish a new sub-topic within the Culture &
Development group to provide access to information and
advice about all aspects and phases of cultural disasters:

** PREPARATION - in advance to avoid or minimise risks,
** effective RESPONSE - to emergencies if nevertheless they occur,
** and longer-term RECOVERY - after the immediate disaster is over.

Though this is still in the early stages of development, we
already offer nearly 50 substantial resources available through
"Heritage in Peril", and we are asking for the submission of
additional relevant material - whether existing web sites or
documents (which can be up-loaded using the "file" option on
the "Add Content" facility).

Within the next few days "Heritage in Peril" will be added to
the main Development Gateway menus (http://developmentgateway.org),
including all of those of the Culture & Development topic group
(Culture & Development, Art, Crafts & Media, Cultural Management,
and Heritage Preservation sub-topics, which already offer about
500 resources).  However, but you can check out the new "Heritage
in Peril" facility - and register for regular e-mail updates as
new  material is added - immediately by going to:

http://developmentgateway.org/topic/?page_id=4188

I also reproduce below the "Our Focus" statement explaining
the aims of the new Heritage in Peril sub-topic.

Many thanks (and with apologies for any duplicate postings)

Patrick Boylan

Culture & Development "Guide" (Manager), Development Gateway,
& Department of Arts Policy and Management, City University, London
Phones: (+44) (0)116.288.5186 or (+44) (0)20-704.8750
E-mail: [log in to unmask]

------------------------------

"OUR FOCUS" - NEW HERITAGE IN PERIL TOPIC

This topic has been created in view of the present response to
terrorism and the potential danger to culture and cultural
property around the world demonstrated in recent civil and
regional wars, and in both natural and civil disasters.

It covers advice and information relating to both potential and
actual threats to culture and cultural heritage from natural and
human-induced disasters, from earthquake, volcano, flooding,
storm, and tsunami risks, through civil disasters of every kind,
to armed conflicts and terrorism.  It also includes links to
international treaties and conventions set up to protect culture
in times of war.

We are very pleased to be able to develop this facility with the
active encouragement and support of leading international,
governmental and non-governmental sources of potential
practical advice and assistance. We hope you will help us:

(1) develop the site by sharing information and advice and
(2) help us expand our reach in developing countries.

All the evidence shows that the culture of least developed
countries is statistically at much greater risk and hence
such threats are a significant issue in relation to social,
economic and cultural development.

Please send us the names of colleagues who might benefit
from using this site and/or insert information in "Add
content" on discussion lists and networks we might include
in our combined efforts to address Heritage in Peril.