Date:
Thu, 23 Jul 1998 08:31:57 +0200
A while back Edward Baker wrote:

>Greetings to our international correspondents,
>
>I request your assistance in translating a single word.  At Mystic Seaport
>we are building a ship, an 80 foot recreation of the Cuban (Spanish
>Flagged) Schooner _Amistad_ (circa 1840).

>The word Amistad means Friendship in English.  I'm looking for the
>equivalent word in as many languages as I can get.

It has taken me a while to get them together but here, kindly researched by
Vincent Maumela of our Anthropological Division, are the translations in 10
of our 11 official languages here in South Africa.

Zulu            ubungani
Northern Sotho  bogwera         or      sekgotse
Southern Sotho  setswalle
Tsong           xingana         or      vungana
Venda           vhukonani       or      vhutama
Setswana        botsalano       or      tsalano
Xhosa           ubungani
Ndebele         ubungani
Swazi           ubungane
Afrikaans       vriendskap

The 11th language is naturally English.

Edward, I hope this helps.

Glyn Balkwill

National Cultural History Museum      Tel   27 (0)12 3411320
PO Box 28088                          Fax   27 (0)12 3416146
SUNNYSIDE                             Email [log in to unmask]
0132  RSA

Website       http://www.paperless.co.za/public/nchm/

All opinions expressed are very definitely my own