From:
Mark Janzen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Feb 2004 11:24:35 -0600
It has always seemed rather difficult to avoid crossing the aesthetic line
with such signs and notifications. I see them as a necessary evil, which
may sometime interfere with the aesthetics. We just have to work to
minimize that effect, while maximizing the effectiveness of the notices.

Our moveable signs look pretty good, and do not interfere. Sometimes I have
to resort to small do not touch signs and reminders for high traffic areas
or especially attractive pieces.

Visitors are like 5 year olds. They just need to be reminded, and often is
better.

Mark Janzen
Registrar/Collections Manager
Edwin A. Ulrich Museum of Art
Martin H. Bush Outdoor Sculpture Collection
Wichita State University
(316)978-5850

             "McDell, Debora
             (MAG)"
             <[log in to unmask]                                          To
             ESTER.EDU>                [log in to unmask]
             Sent by: Museum                                            cc
             discussion list
             <[log in to unmask]                                     Subject
             SE.LSOFT.COM>             Re: Signage-Visitor Behavior

             02/12/2004 10:05
             AM

             Please respond to
             Museum discussion
                   list
               SE.LSOFT.COM>

Mark,
Thanks for your feedback. I like your choice to use moveable signs. Space
is
also an issue for us. The next question becomes how aesthetically pleasing
is the sign ..especially if it's permanent. We also met with the head of
security to offer some tips on better coverage/supervision strategies. The
problem with the last event was too many guards were in the same area and
we
had several cases of children and adults getting too close to art and in
some instances, touching art.
--Debora