From:
PATRICIA MCDOUGALL <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Oct 2001 10:00:15 MDT
I understand your frustration at not being able to find paid museum work right
off the bat, but the way the museum field has grown, nobody is going to hire
you without experience.  I am assuming that you were required to do an
internship as a part of your coursework for your Master's.  Hopefully, this
would have given you a leg up with whatever museum you for which you
interned.

Even people with degrees and experience sometimes have trouble finding museum
work, so your best bet is to find an entry level museum job and volunteer on
weekends.

Keep an eye on the employment websites for museums, like, museumjobs.com,
museum-employment.com, globalmuseum.org, aam-us.org, usajobs.com, etc, they
have some good entry level jobs in them.

Good Luck!

Patricia McDougall
Tour and Reservations Supervisor
National Air and Space Museum

Julie J Thomson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
You can always volunteer on the weekends at major museums which is a great
first step into networking.  I have found that volunteering has paid off
tremendously even if it is only a fw hours a week.  I currently work outside
the museum field but want to eventually work for a museum again and
volunteering at a major art museum on the weekends or on Friday nights has
helped me work toward that goal.

best of luck!

> > I am looking for some advice on getting my
foot in the door of a museum
> career.  I recently received my MA in the History and Theory of the Art
> Museum at the Courtauld Institute of Art but with little experience I am
> finding it tough to find a job in the musuem profession.  I would love to
> be able to volunteer but having just graduated I do need to pursue a career
> that will also provide me a paycheck!  I was hoping to get some advice on
> finding a job!  Thanks!

> Important Subscriber Information:
>
> The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-faq/
. You may obtain detailed information about the listserv commands by sending a
ne line e-mail message to [log in to unmask] . The body of the
message
 should read "help" (without the quotes).

list
Museum-L
" (without the quotes).

The Museum-L FAQ file is located at http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-faq/
. You may obtain detailed information about the listserv commands by sending a
one line e-mail message to [log in to unmask] . The body of the
message should read "help" (without the quotes).

Museum-L" (without the quotes).

Get free e-mail and a permanent address at http://www.amexmail.com/?A=1