From:
"K. Stahr" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jan 1998 08:52:40 -0800
You are right to worry in advance because these issues will come up
inevitably, and it's better to consider them now than to have to deal with
them in the midst of event-planning.  I agree with Roger W. that it is
important to hack out some sort of policy including (if possible) a fee
schedule that will not only protect the institution in a legal sense but
also will protect the staff from having to deal with issues in a crisis
mode.  Of course, there will always be exceptions to be dealt with on a
case by case basis (in my experience all of the individuals you mentioned
were involved in that type of decision-making process), but it is helpful
to have a document outlining established rules and boundaries to refer to
in those types of situations.

Karen Stahr Kim
Teachers College/Columbia University