From:
RHEA TANNENBAUM <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Nov 1997 23:13:45 -0500
I worked for General Electric during my previous incarnation as a
computer techie. We stored our data backups off-site at a facility
called Iron Mountain, somwhere in upstate New York...sorry, can't
remember the name of the city.

Also, once a year the computer department had a three-day "drill"
where key personnel followed a formalized (i.e. we paid a consulting
group a LOT of money for it) Disaster Recovery Plan.

Here at the nature center things are much less sophisticated <G>. I
keep copies of everything in a separate building from the one in
which I work. I also keep copies of the interactive educational
databases I've written at my home. If the entire city is destroyed by
a hurricane I suspect that data recovery will be a very low priority
for a very long time. I do however have a plan should we ever get to
the 48-hour warning stage for a direct hit from a hurricane. If that
should happen I plan to put my backup disks in an envelope and mail
them to my brother in New York for safekeeping!

Rhea Tannenbaum
Exhibits Coordinator
Gumbo Limbo Nature Center
Boca Raton, FL