From:
"Aderman, Ella" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Apr 2012 13:38:27 -0400
I think an internship is their opportunity to try out a job and see if
they like it before actually working or preparing to work in that field.
It is a time for those that are committed to refine what they like
doing, and also a time for them to learn what they DON'T like doing so
they don't waste any more time going in that direction with their
coursework or career.

Is a love of history enough?  No, they have to also be able to write,
speak intelligently, have basic computer skills or whatever they need to
be useful for your situation.
Regards,
Ella Aderman
Pennypacker Mills