From:
Karen Heege <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 2000 15:33:34 -0600
Greetings listers;

I am interested in hearing from a wide variety of musuems that are
addressing the issue of collecting from ethnic, immigrant and/or refugee
communities. While I am aware of culturally specific museums, i.e. Swedish
or Native peoples, I looking for information from general museums.

Specifically I'd like to know if your collections policy reflects a
distinction between the types of materials collected and from which
communities. Has anyone made this kind of distinction in their collections
policy? Are you actively collecting materials from and related to new
ethnic, immigrant or refugee populations in your community? Do you have
members of these communities on advisory committees? If you purchase
collections, do you have a separate fund for ethnic or immigrant
collections, or do you have a general fund for all collections?

I would greatly appreciate any and all information related to this issue.
Copies of collections policies are especially welcome. Please feel free to
contact me via any of the addresses listed below or reply to the list if
you think it is appropriate.

Many thanks in advance, and I look forward lively discussion and useful
information.

Karen

Karen Heege
Folklife Programmer