From:
"Meredith L. Dunham" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 2006 09:56:23 -0500
Our city owns/leases four historic houses and directly operates three of them.  The collections of the houses that the City owns are all put under a single decorative arts policy.  I think the cap is $1,000,000.  I've heard that in some cases, if you have a very valuable item (say its worth over $10K), you may want to separately insure that item.  All of our individual pieces are under the $10K mark.  In addition, our reproduction furniture and exhibit items (bottles, cups, papers, games) are insured under the same policy as if they were collection items.

The only problem is, we have to provide accurate inventories (simple lists) with the individual item values each year when the policy gets renewed.  For several years in a row, our inventory system was very poor and many items did not get covered under the policy.  We are in the process of correcting it.  I would suggest taking a basic inventory of your collections and their approximate values, if you have information on that from purchase/donor files, and provide that list to your insurance agent.  They might be able to give you a better idea of whether or not you're adequately covered.

I believe the buildings themselves are covered under another general policy that provides for replacement or reconstruction of buildings within the City's holdings, historic or not.

Hope that helps.

Meredith

Virginia Beach Historic Houses
Virginia Beach, VA 23452