From:
Kyle Berget <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 1996 11:43:36 -0600
>In a message dated 96-01-17 15:58:11 EST, [log in to unmask] (Ivy
>Strickler) writes:
>
>>How interesting! I just read in US News that Bill Gates gives nothing to
>>charity-says he'll think about it when he's fifty.
>
>Figures!!
>
>- Adrienne

Bill Gates may not fund "charities" but he is very generous funder of
community projects and educational activities. He is currently funding
(with proceeds of his book) 22 projects nation wide. Grant guidelines
called for a community based organization (museum, library, senior center),
a school, and an after school program to work together. Each project has a
team of five professionals representing these organizations. Funding from
Bill Gates includes $30,000 to fund each project, two 5 day workshops in
Washington DC for all 110 team members and a 7 day workshop this summer for
all 110 team members (location yet to be announced), all expenses paid and
first class all the way.  During the first workshop each team learned that
they would also receive two fully loaded computers (one lap top, one desk
top). Thanks to the generousity of Bill Gates, the Stevens County History
Museum is now able to help our entire community enter the 21st century!
But, we consider ourselves an educational institution and not a charity.
The thought that museums are charities may play a part in the salary issue
that has received so much attention lately...any thoughts?

Karen Berget
Director
Stevens County Historical Society