From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Jan 2002 14:30:30 -0800
Ok, I promised myself and you that I would NOT turn
this into a politcal forum.

However, I would be remiss if I did not advise my
fellow countrywomen and men to please wake up and get
out from behind their flags.  I have mine and they
still adorn my vehicle.  I am a proud American.

But PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE (I cannot cajole you
strongly enough and I do not assume you are not
already so doing) pay attention to what is going on in
the name of that flag waving.

Agreeing to disagree is one thing.  Reviving
Cointelpro is quite another, and destroying FOIA is
unconscionable.  Be careful about the rights you
sacrifice (warning, editorial comment) in an
UNDECLARED war because the residual effects are many.

Keep an open eye on what is going on in the Justice
Department.

I don't want to go too far on this one.  It is just my
observation that many of us are caught up in the very
high approval rating and neglecting to follow-up with
what is happening.  There is stuff serious enough
transpiring that I feel I would compromise my
conscience if I didn't say anything after seeing this
recurring commentary about how much we revere our
rights to espouse our opinions.

We Americans have been happy because we've had the
right to disagree and speak our mind.  That has been
evidenced time and again in these threads.  The
direction things are presently happening are, as Ross
very carefully alluded, showing shades of McCarthyism.

If you want to know more or want me to point you in
the direction I was heading, ask me off list, please.
I don't want to evolve this into a donneybrook, but I
think not enough are following current events as
closely as they should and may miss something before
it's too late.

I will apologize to you only in that I didn't want to
make it political, but I don't want to apologize to
myself for not saying something that NEEDED to be said
when I had the chance and my children and
grandchildren suffer.

Ok, that's it.  I'm done.

End of much more carefully crafted rant.

> Personally, the day that comes
> when we are not a marketplace of differing ideas
> will be the day our republic
> is finished.   More important than concurrance is
> mutual respect for other
> opinions, the "agreement to disagree."  When THAT
> disappears, the
> aforementioned marketplace of ideas closes shop,
> with the ensuing collapse of
> Americanism.
> People are still arguing, which means Osama and
> company are still the losers
> in all this.   When we cannot argue, he wins.

=====
Indigo Nights

Looking for a job?  Try:
http://victorian.fortunecity.com/stanmer/414