From:
Anne Lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 2006 11:54:50 -0400
The only problem with using "disk, magnetic" is that CDs and DVDs are
not magnetic media. I wouldn't pick nits that way except that the
storage and handling requirements for magnetic and optical media are
different, and way down the line when the electronic world has once
again changed beyond all recognition, three or four weeks from now, that
inaccuracy in naming might lead to errors in preservation. Actually, I
would pick nits that way because I think it's high time Nomenclature
entered the 21st Century, or at least put in some terms that are general
enough that we aren't forced to shoehorn things into categories where
they just don't fit. Anybody here know the status of the revision
project?
Anne

Anne T. Lane, Collections Manager
Charlotte Museum of History
3500 Shamrock Drive
Charlotte NC 28215
704-568-1774, ext 110

Featured Events and Exhibits:
Museum by Moonlight - Thursday, October 26, 5-9 p.m.
Haunted Homesite - Saturday, October 28, 6-9 p.m.
Charlotte Neighborhoods: Plaza-Midwood, Now through February 11, 2007
Personal Legacies: Surviving the Great Depression, Now through June 24,
2007
Stay updated on Museum events and enjoy special promotions by joining
our Email Club!