From:
Wesley Creel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Aug 2004 16:29:49 -0500
Good Afternoon Rebecca,
Gosh, what a cool thread.  After reading all this stuff, I am reminded of a quote by Samuel Johnson, "I am not yet so lost in lexicography as to forget that words are the daughters of earth, and that things are the sons of heaven." (from the Preface of his 1755 Dictionary).
Ironically, ol' Samuel left us with a lot of his words and not many of his artifacts......humm, I will have to ponder that one tonight over a glass of dry sherry.
Best Wishes,
Wesley

Wesley S. Creel
Administrator of Programs
Pink Palace Family of Museums
3050 Central Avenue
Memphis, TN 38111-3399
www.memphismuseums.org
(901) 320-6370 Direct
(901) 320-6391 FAX

>>> [log in to unmask] 08/09/04 02:33PM >>>
To what extent does the de-emphasis of objects in our museums reflect
market forces? Doesn't it illustrate our shift in focus from industrial
manufacturing to the production of information and information technology?
For example, in one of our most important historical collections, there are
ample records of manufacturers, who, from the late nineteenth century,
hoped to advertise and promote their new products through popular public
exhibitions that were informative but decidedly object oriented--on the
order of the World's Fairs. As production and consumption sky-rocketed,
exhibitions based on objects mirrored our preoccupation with the history
and presence of things. How effective, then, was the growth of information
tech and the electronics technology industries in promoting text-making and
interactives? Again, as the culture engaged cyber tech and high-impact
visual imaging, so did our museums. Also, as universities granted
increasing numbers of Ph.D.s, museums offered new opportunities for
academics to advance their theories, word for word, before large audiences.

Rebecca Trussell

What was