From:
Anna Fariello <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Nov 2001 17:27:40 -0500
Dear Cindy,
I read your two recent questions and it seems you have a lot on your plate.
An Historic Structures Report is a pretty specific thing.  All of the ones
I have read were compiled by architects who specialize in historic
renovation.  A recent one I am familiar with cost $10K, but it was
necessary before the institution could proceed on a renovation project.
the report was also was paid out of that funding, so if you can raise the
renovation funds, sometimes you can cover the initial report that way.
Regarding your question on exhibition design.  I agree with David H. that
the functions of curator (responsible for historic research) and designer
(who may organize and present that research) are usually separate.   You
don't often find people with skills necessary for both tasks...but as David
pointed out, many of us have done both!
I would imagine that the curator at your museum would be the person most
familiar with the collection.  If not, you might want to work with a local
historian from a nearby university or a curatoror from your state museum.
I would think you'd want the script in hand and a list of objects before
calling in a designer.
Often state humanties councils can support the research.
Anna Fariello