From:
Susan Ruderman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jul 2011 01:14:20 -0400
On 7/6/2011 11:20 PM, Adrienne Meraz wrote:
> Hi James,
>
> I've had the unfortunate experience of working at an event where a
> child was rolling around the art gallery with a pair of those sneakers
> with wheels on them. Not only was I worried about the artworks, I also
> knew that there was a possibility that she could trip and fall on the
> uneven floor. No one was saying anything! I finally couldn't take it
> any longer and I went up to the kid and told them to stop. I also told
> the mom that she needed to control her child.

There seems to be such a sense of entitlement among some parents now.
Maybe it has always been this way, but in the past ten years I have seen
more babies and toddlers brought into situations that are inappropriate
for them, but the parents seem oblivious to that fact.  My other pet
peeve (besides parents who will not exercise one iota of control over
their children for fear of "breaking their spirit" even as Junior flies
his toy airplane around a fragile museum object) are the modern
strollers which seem as large as SUVs to me (and some of them cost
almost as much as a used car.)  I don't mind umbrella strollers in
crowded places, but I am tired of worrying about my foot being run over
by a clueless parent "driving" one of these massive strollers--some of
them wide enough for twins or triplets.

And lest anyone think I am a grumpy childless child hater, I do indeed
have a child--and I still think this way!

Susan Ruderman
Consultant

--
Susan C. Ruderman, Ed.M.