From:
Len Hambleton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jan 1998 15:01:32 -0500
museums really educate the public to what we are trying to do?

 I 'd like to suggest to all on the list to consider creating an exhibit
illustrating  the process of creating exhibits. This could be placed at
the entrance to the museum ,preparing the visitor in hopes to supplement
their notions of what is the context .
Until I joined the museum field there was always a mystique of how the
exhibit originated.Who wrote the storyline ?
The Children's Museum of Manhattan I visited a few years ago had a large
pyramid constructed of white arborite . Underneath was sheet metal.
Magnetic Post-It size cartoons depicted components of a storeyline. The
visitor could arrange them and in effect become " curators' for the day.
It was a great exhibit on "Hobbies ..Why I Collect."
We forget that the internal working flow charts that are second nature
to us are not evident to the visitor or at least to most.
The Maritime Museum in Norfolk VA is a great museum. For any of their
staff on the list who may read this ,please take a bow. The staff,
research librarians and volunteers are cheerful and so helpful. It has
to be the brightest and most exciting of  museums on the eastern
seaboard to visit with a great giftshop for those on the list who love
the sea and maritime memorabilia ,all that is there.
 I learned of a video in 1992 they created when I viewed their exhibit
in one area on the Conservation of the Leif Ericson statue .
There were black and white photos along with the video to show behind
the scenes and how different departments work. Education- the visitor
will appreciate it I am sure if we "let them in on the process" of our
craft , we all sometimes  take for granted
Yes we are magicians .Smoke ,mirrors and the works ,let's show them and
measure the response and share the reults on this list!
We as staff members were all offered a case to curate no matter where in
the museum we worked.

Len Hambleton - Chief Conservator
North Carolina Museum of History
5 East Edenton Street
Raleigh NC. 27601-1011
919-715-0200 x244
"Information in the spirit of sharing,catch the wave!"

Opinions expressed in this message may not represent the policy of my
agency