From:
Bennett Siegel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Dec 2005 15:58:24 -0500
Thank you for this thoughtful take on the subject.  It is easy for
majorities to make these comfortable assumptions.  Think of accessibility
issues that have emerged in the last number of years.  We who are all able
bodied have to actually do work to make sure our institutions include those
who have challenges.  Think of all the years when people with physical
challenges were essentially "uninvited" to public institutions because of
inaccessibility and the comfortable assumptions of the majority.  It took a
long time, but we now go to great lengths to make sure people who are not
part of the comfortably mobile majority, feel invited to our institutions by
acknowledging and accommodating their differences, and we still blow it
because we don't always understand what it feels like.

This point of view does not mean do not say "Merry Christmas".