From:
Matthew Stiff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Dec 1997 16:34:26 +0000
In article <[log in to unmask]>, Dominique Rogers
<[log in to unmask]> writes
>As students for the MA Gallery Studies at The University of Essex, we
>are mounting an exhibition at U. of E. Gallery, titled:
>'A PLANT OF CONTENTION, an exhibition chronicling the history of hemp'.
>I am looking for information on patent medecines made with cannabis,
>Were any ever made? date? manufacturers? usage?
>Assuming it exists, Can anybody lend us samples or facsimile of
>packaging? Or tell us whom we can approach, the exhibition is opening
>the 25 May 1998. Thank you in advance.

MDA has just published the British Museum Materials Thesaurus which is
based on the materials represented within the BM collection. Along with
such exotic terms as "camel dung", "ganja" is listed as a non-prefered
term for "cannabis leaf". Clearly there is a possibility that there are
objects in the BM collection which might interest you (not to mention
the drugs squad).

You might also want to contact the National Museum of Science and
Industry since they hold the best part of the original Wellcome
collection relating to the the history of medicine.
--
Matthew Stiff
Terminology Projects Manager

MDA MAIN OFFICE: Jupiter House, Station Road, Cambridge, CB1 2JD
Tel:    +44 (0)1223 315760
Fax:    +44 (0)1223 362521
email:  [log in to unmask]