From:
Susan Wageman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Mar 2006 09:40:15 -0800
Last November, when my position was being created, I did a quick survey (on
the ISEN-ASTC-L) of science-technology centers that have in-house
evaluation/research staff. My focus was primarily on the location of the job
in the organization, responsibilities, staffing, budget scope and software
used. I am happy to share what I learned with others.

I have data from nine institutions and a list of others that I did not
contact either because I did not have time or I did not know about them at
the time I did the research. Institutions included are:

Arizona Science Center (half of full time job)
COSI Columbus
Franklin Institute
Monterey Bay Aquarium
OMSI
Museum of Science (Boston)
St. Louis Science Center
Science Museum of Minnesota
The Tech Museum of Innovation

Additional science-technology centers that have in-house evaluation/research
staff:
Museum of Science & Industry (Chicago)
Exploratorium
California Science Center
Denver Museum of Nature & Science
Lawrence Hall of Science
MOSI: Museum of Science & Industry (Tampa)
Shedd Aquarium
Techniquest

I found the AAM Committee for Audience Research and Evaluation and Visitor
Studies Association membership lists useful for finding people whose jobs
focus on evaluation and research. I expect that there are others I have not
yet found. I would be interested to know of others.

Susan B.F. Wageman
Senior Director, Evaluation, Planning & Research
The Tech Museum of Innovation     [log in to unmask]
201 S Market St                   408-795-6119
San Jose, CA  95113               fax 408-279-7167