From:
Wendy Claire Jessup <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Jul 2005 14:10:36 -0400
Greetings all:

Timothy McShane is correct stating that all light causes irreversible
damage.

I would caution against installing UV film to the glass of the windows,
especially if it is historic.  I have seen problems with poor installation
(bubbles, incomplete coverage resulting in small gaps around the edges,
etc.); film adhesive failure (resulting in bubbling); problems with window
maintenance (the filmed windows can be difficult to clean unless you follow
the manufacturer's recommendations closely); and breakage of the glazing
when the film needs to be replaced.  At the present time, we don't really
know how long the film remains effective, therefore it will require annual
testing with a UV meter.  Eventually it will require replacement.  I prefer
installation of UV filtering storms (consult with your preservation
architect about how to install them on the windows) and roller blinds with
UV absorbing acrylic.  There are plenty of good filtering media available
that meet the following recommended specification and that will bring the UV
down to less than 10 microwatts per lumen (a vast improvement over the
previously published standard of 75 microwatts/lumen).:

	Transmission curve normalized at 500 nanometers with less than 11%
transmission at 320 and 350 nanometers and less than 50% transmission 	at
400 nanometers.

I recommend installing window treatments suited to the historic nature of
the building in additional to UV reduction materials, budgeting for their
eventual replacement because they will eventually fail due to light
exposure, and initiating a program to adjust the window treatments to
moderate the light entering the building (our colleagues in the UK National
Trust do this throughout the day in the stately homes of England).
Furthermore, if the historically appropriate window treatments can
completely block the light as well as moderate daylight during the daytime,
these should be used.  If not, you might consider installing light blocking
roller blinds.  Institute opening and closing procedures so that the light
excluding blinds/window treatments are open only when the building is open
to the public.  This will go a long way toward reducing the overall
cumulative exposure of light sensitive objects.

The websites recommended by Mr. McShane are all excellent and will provide
additional background and recommendations.  If I can be of further
assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Wendy Jessup
Conservator

Wendy Jessup and Associates Inc.
1814 N. Stafford St.