From:
"Glenn A. Walsh" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Aug 2007 17:46:22 -0700
Catherine,

It appears you represent a small non-profit historic
preservation organization. I salute your efforts to
preserve the history of the Commonwealth of Virginia
with little or no public funding.

As a former Trustee with a poorly-funded public
library, the Andrew Carnegie Free Library and Music
Hall in Carnegie, Pennsylvania [which includes a small
Civil War Museum], I understand your dilemma very
well.

Regarding our Civil War Museum, as a Library Trustee I
coordinated weekly tours of the Museum, with the
assistance of a volunteer. Of course, neither of us
were paid.

> By small I mean sites with annual visitation of
> about 5-6,000 or less...
> We have found
> that having a full-time site manager (to handle
> day-to-day operations, docent scheduling, etc.) is
> no longer cost effective

When you talk about that small an annual visitation,
it is difficult to consider any full-time position as
"cost-effective." However, each facility has certain
fixed costs that have to be paid, to maintain a
quality program--otherwise, there may be no point in
continuing to maintain some of the facilities.

You need to evaluate your mission and your ability to
sustain such a mission. Then, to maintain most or all
of these historic facilities you will probably need to
implement a "smorgasboard" of alternatives.

With limited funds and historic facilities throughout
the state, there is no "magic bullet" to solve your
problem. Part-time staffing, some voluteer help, and
cooperative programming with other nearby museums are
all alternatives that you will need to try, as you
have suggested.

Perhaps you could alternate scheduling of certain
historic properties within a reasonable distance. One
may be open one day, with another open the next day,
so your staff could handle both assignments.

With limited funding, creativity will be needed to
meet your mission. I wish you all the best in
providing this important service to the people of
Virginia.

gaw