ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
Per Rekdal <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ICOM Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2000 10:36:43 +0200
On Wednesday Feb 2 Patrick Boylan wrote:

>A broadly based Ad Hoc committee on cultural diversity issues was set up
>in Quebec in 1992, chaired by Amareswar Galla of Australia, and its final
>report and recommendations were adopted in 1998 at Melbourne (in both the
>General Assembly Resolutions and ICOM Forward Programme for 1999-2007).

Pat,

I know very well about this committee, but this is not at all the kind of
committee I have in mind. The committee mentioned above seemed to have
restricted membership and it's aim was to make policy recommendations. All
very good.

I am thinking about committees that are just as open to all ICOM members as
the present international committees are, with the aim of debating an
issue. These debates may be scholarly, practical or political in character
(or a mix, as our debates usually are) and the aim is not necessarily to
present a single final document, but to give food for thought that may have
theoretical, practical and/or political consequences.

Per B. Rekdal
ICME Chairperson