ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
Susan Wageman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Oct 2003 09:13:01 -0700
I agree with Milton that a core idea in museums is that the object is the
platform from which to launch intepretation (and research for that matter).
Even chilren's museums and science centers use objects to interpret ideas.
However, the objects in these types of museums do not require the perpetual
care that collections in natural and cultural heritage museums require if we
are to preserve this heritage for the future. The objects in are intended to
be used and manipulated. There is no need to preserve them for posterity and
if there were, then it it would be inappropriate to use them as intended.

> A MUSEUM IS AN EDUCATIONAL ORGANIZATION THAT SERVES THE PUBLIC
> BY RESEARCHING AND INTERPRETING SCIENTIFIC, CULTURAL AND/OR
> NATURAL HERITAGE THROUGH THE USE OF A PHYSICAL ENVIRONMENT. MUSEUMS
> THAT HOLD COLLECTIONS CARE FOR THEM AS A PUBLIC TRUST AND PRESERVE
> THEM FOR THE FUTURE.

When I read the proposed definition (my favorite version so far is above), I
took the words "physical environment" to mean the objects as well as the
building, setting, and/or exhibition furnishings that enable interpretation.
If this is not clear, perhaps it needs to say "... use of objects and a
physical environment. ..."

Susan B.F. Wageman
Director, Community Learning & Resource Development
The Tech Museum of Innovation     [log in to unmask]
145 W San Carlos St.              408-795-6303
San Jose, CA  95113               fax 408-279-7167
http://www.thetech.org/