ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
Helen Wechsler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jun 2000 08:36:12 -0400
We at AAM/ICOM would like to make a suggestion for the International Museum
Day theme:

                Museums: Building Community

This is a topic we in the U.S. have been discussing widely and studying
closely.  We are trying to answer questions such as: What constitutes a
community at the dawn of the 21st century?  What role do museums play in
defining preserving and enriching community?  How can museums of all types
best respond to the changes, challenges, and opportunities in the
communities they serve?  How can museums and other community organizations
share knowledge with each other?  What are the ideal circumstances in which
knowledge can be explored and shared?

Why not explore some of these questions with our communities as we celebrate
International Museum Day.