ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Sat, 16 Aug 2008 02:14:21 +0200
ICOM ?Disaster Relief for Museums? Task Force / Chair: Thomas Schuler
First Report on Museums in Georgia (August 15)

At least 4 of the 26 museums situated in the three battle zones of the
Georgian conflict have been badly affected. Please, keep in mind that
- due to the circumstances - all information are only reported and not
proven.

SOUTH OSSETIA

There are two museums around Tskhinvali:

>> Ivane Machabeli House Museum, in the village Tamarasheni
Village is reported to be destroyed; state of the museum and its
collections are unknown; staff had been evacuated; museums director is
alive.

>> Didi Liakhvi Gorge Museum-Reserve, in the villages Kekhvi and Kurta
Villages are reported to be destroyed; state of the museum is unknown;
part of the collections may be saved; staff had been evacuated;
museums director is alive.

SHIDA KARTLI (region south of South Ossetia)

Its capital Gori has three museums. All 37 staff members and their
families had been evacuated and stay in Tbilisi.
>>  Sergi Makalatia Gori Historical and Ethnographical Museum
       The museum has probably damaged by bombs
>>  Ioseb Stalin State Museum
       The museum is damaged (all windows broken)
>>  Iakob Gogebashvili House-museum

In the Gori region there are 7 museums, among them the important
>>  Uplistsikhe Historical & Architectural Museum-Reserve which is not damaged.
The other museums were not damaged during the battles but might be
affected by raids after the official armistice.

SAMEGRELO ? ZEMO SVANTI (Region next to Abkhazia)

Zugdidi (regional capital)
>> Dadiani Palaces Historical and Architectural Museum: no damage reported

Senaki
>> Zhiuli Shartava Senaki Local Museum: not damaged
>> Senaki Picture Gallery: slightly damaged by explosions in the city

Poti (Black Sea side city)
>> Poti Colchian Culture Museum: no damage reported

In other parts of the region are 11 museums: no damage reported

ICOM ACTIVITIES

ICOM has reacted on three levels.

1) On August 11, ICOM has written a letter of concern to ICOM Georgia
and the Georgian Museums Association, in which they were informed that
the Disaster Relief Task Force is on pre alert and ready to assist if
necessary.
BLUE SHIELD (ANCBS) has published a statement, too. It reminds that
?both Georgia and Russia are State Parties to the Hague Convention and
its First Protocol and are obliged to implement its obligations?.

2) Some National Committees (e.G. Poland, Germany and Turkey) have
sent letters of concern and support to the ICOM National Committee of
Georgia and urged ICOM and BLUE SHIELD to take action.

3) ?Disaster Relief for Museums? Task Force is the ICOM body in charge
of such situations. (More on DRFM and the new Task Force you will find
another message to ICOM-L.)

Our Task Force was called on pre alert on Monday morning, August 11.
In a first step we attempt to collect and check the contact data of
all potential partners (ICOM National Committee, National Association
of Museums, Ministry of Culture, Blue Shield partners etc.) as well as
to identify all museums situated in the affected region. We
distributed our first report containing this information late on the
evening of August 11.

This quick reaction was mainly due to a very good website of ICOM
Georgia and the Georgian Association of Museums.
<http://www.georgianmuseums.ge>
Probably due to cyber attacks this website was not permanently
available; therefore our Task Force has saved the pages containing the
detailed information on museums on another server.

We have contacted ICOM Georgia as well as ICOM Russia several times in
order to update our information. We thank ICOM Georgia for their very
quick and precise reactions.

We also continue to share all our information within the Blue Shield
network (archives, libraries, monuments) and the new Blue Shield
(ANCBS) office in The Hague.

As soon as we have precise information we will share it with all ICOM
members and call for support for museums in South Ossetia and Gori. We
will maintain a special temporary domain you may bookmark and visit
later on: <http://georgia.drfm.info>

WHAT CAN WE DO?

During the past several days many concerned ICOM members have asked
our Task Force : ?What can we do??

Well, you can do something! Close public attention is a very good
shield for cultural heritage.  No nation wants their military forces
to be publicly blamed for damage to cultural property or not
preventing its looting.

As an ICOM member you may show your international solidarity by
sending messages of concern and support to your colleagues ? and later
on you may participate in ICOM relief activities our Task Force may
propose (see later on <http://georgia.drfm.info>).

While warfare has historically threatened museums and other cultural
property, the past twenty years have shown that damage from active
combat is less a threat than the aftermath of conflict, when damage
has most often been caused by looting, public disorder, and lack of
trained staff. We do not yet know the exact situation of the museums
in and around Gori, but it is obvious that they remained unprotected
for several days after the battle.

ICOM has very few means to intervene as long as conflict is ongoing.
But ICOM as an international organisation (together with BLUE SHIELD)
can help to prevent and reduce unnecessary post battle damage. A
national committee may help by drawing the attention of its national
military to the protection of cultural heritage in post conflict
situations, whether they act abroad as an occupying force or as a
peacekeeping mission.

WEBLINKS

General:
Disaster Relief for Museums website: <http://icom.museum/disaster_relief/>