ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
Dan Matei <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Apr 2003 10:13:17 +0300
Dear Patrick

On which side of the river is the National Library ?

On the other hand, I do not understand what kind of people are those who
destroyed the museum. Stealing in museums it's a long story (and not
only in times of war) ! But destroying things you can not steal - and
supposedly objects of much national pride - I hardly understand.

I am angry with the US army about failing to guard the museum and the
library. As you demonstrate, the US marine proved it was possible. But I
am mad to the people of Baghdad who did this. We, the inhabitants of
Bucharest witnessed similar power vacuum in December '89 - and yes, we
were angry too -, but I did not recall looting in the museums, and the
library set on fire here was a punctual (and professional) criminal act,
not a "popular" one.

Question is, can we do something practical to improve the situation ? My
laments are of little help. I have no ideas for the moment.

Yours,

Dan

Dan Matei, director
CIMEC - Institutul de Memorie Culturala [Institute for Cultural Memory]
Piata Presei Libere nr. 1, CP 33-90,
713411 Bucuresti [Bucharest], Romania
tel/fax (+40-21) 224 37 42
www.cimec.ro